Now more than ever, developing a workout regimen is crucial to attaining good health and fitness, especially since weight-related diseases are rampant these days. With all sorts of diseases popping up nowadays, the best way to safeguard your immunity is to live healthily, which includes eating a healthy diet and adding regular exercise to your routine.
That being said, here are the important things to add to your workout regime so you’ll be able to attain your health and fitness goals:
1. Aerobic Exercise
Aerobic exercises are endurance or cardio activities, great for burning calories. Your workout regimen should include activities that make your lungs and heart work harder, such as walking, running, swimming, and biking.
Cardio exercises boost your breathing and heart rate, which increases tissue oxygenation. This way, more oxygen reaches your muscles. Also, aerobic exercises lower your risk for chronic diseases and promote a longer life span.
These helpful tips will help you kickstart your cardio exercises:
- Goal: Aim at least a total of 2.5 hours of moderate or vigorous aerobic activity weekly. Raise your moderate aerobic activity goal to five hours weekly for additional health benefits, like weight loss. If you want to eliminate unwanted fat, combine aerobic exercise with the best fat burners and the best protein powders.
- Walking: This simple aerobic exercise is suitable for any age. You can adjust the speed and mile according to your comfort level and endurance capacity. Challenge yourself while walking by adding distance, time, or using resistance bands for toning. Begin and end walking with a slower pace for your warm-up.
- Wear Comfortable Shoes: In any exercise activity, it’s important to wear comfortable workout shoes. Find a pair of shoes with supportive features and flexible soles to cushion the feet.
2. Strength Training
Strength training, or resistance training, consists of bodyweight exercises or using resistance devices, such as resistance bands, to improve strength, increase endurance, and gain muscle mass.
Here’s how to perform strength training:
- Start with manageable weights. Determine how much load is applicable for your workout, especially when you’re lifting weights for eight to ten reps.
- Your warm-up time should include stretches and light cardio to ease your joints and increase your heart rate.
- Don’t exercise until you’re drained out because it may lead to serious health issues.
- Give your muscles enough time to recover by resting for one full day to improve fitness without compromising health.
3. Flexibility Exercises
Include flexibility exercises in your workout regimen to reverse tightening and shortening muscles. These exercises will help counteract stiff muscles and joints that can make you more vulnerable to injuries and back pain issues. A well-stretched muscle promotes a better full range of motion. Some examples of flexibility exercises include yoga and stretching.
Check these helpful tips when stretching:
- It’s best to do stretching after five to ten minutes of working out.
- Breathe through your nose during stretching.
- Make sure to warm up first before stretching all your muscle groups.
- Don’t bounce to avoid contracting reflex, which defeats the purpose of stretching.
- Extend your muscle until you feel mild tension. Then, hold that position for 10 to 30 seconds.
4. Vary Your Exercise Equipment
You’re probably used to treadmills, ellipticals, rowing machines, and other gym equipment. After reading this article, try to use various equipment, such as ropes, sleds, medicine balls, kettlebells, bands, and slide boards. Using new fitness equipment will challenge your body and keep your workout regime more fun and exciting.
5. Add Variety To Your Daily Workout
Spark fitness improvement by changing your exercises or adding variety to your favorite daily exercises.
Here’s how to add variety to your everyday workout:
- Increase the number of reps or sets
- Increase exercise duration
- Decrease rest time between exercises
- Increase exercise resistance
- Change exercise resistance by using different equipment, such as your body weight and kettlebell
- Speed up or slow down the motion
6. Fitness Level Assessment
Assessing and recording your baseline fitness scores give you benchmarks to measure your fitness progress. This step is often overlooked. But it’s a crucial aspect towards attaining your fitness goals.
You can assess your muscular fitness, body composition, and composition by recording:
- Your body mass index (BMI)
- Your pulse rate after walking 1 mile (1.6 kilometers)
- How long it takes to run 1.5 miles or 2.41 kilometers
- The number of pushups you can do at a time
- How far you can reach your legs in front of you
- Your waist circumference (above the hipbones)
7. Monitor Your Progress
Similar to assessing your fitness level, monitoring your progress is also a critical step of a workout regimen. It involves retaking fitness assessment six weeks after starting your workout program and after every few months. As you improve, you’ll notice the need to increase the time duration and intensity of exercises.
Set new fitness goals or a new activity if you lose motivation. Have a workout buddy to avoid boredom and increase motivation. If you prefer exercising alone, you can work out while listening to your favorite music or watching fitness tutorials.
8. Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle
While you may have the best workout regimen in the world, it’s meaningless if you don’t follow a healthy lifestyle. Not getting enough sleep will leave you restless and tired the next day. Also, if you don’t quit smoking or eat junk foods, they can affect your organ’s proper functioning, like your lungs and heart.
High levels of cholesterol, sugar, and stress hormones cause negative health impacts, which defeats exercise’s purpose. You won’t maximize the full benefits of your workout regime if your body isn’t properly nourished. So, make sure that you’re eating right, sleeping properly, and psychologically prepared when working out.
The important things to add to your workout regime include cardio exercises, strength training, and flexibility exercises. It would also help add various exercise equipment and workout to make your workout regime more fun.
Assessing your fitness level and monitoring your progress, along with maintaining a healthy lifestyle help you attain your health and fitness goals.