Creating a video game concept is one of the most important steps in making a video game. Without a well-defined concept, it will be difficult to move forward with development and may lead to a finished product that doesn’t meet your expectations. This article will teach you how to come up with a great concept, develop it into a workable plan, and pitch it to others in order to get them on board with your project.
1. What Is A Video Game Concept And Why Do You Need One
Before you start creating your video game, it’s important to have a clear concept. This will serve as the foundation for all of your design choices, and it will help you to communicate your vision to others. The concept should be concise and easy to understand; it should explain what the game is about and what makes it unique. It’s also a good idea to include a prototype, which is a basic version of the game that can be used to test gameplay ideas. Once you have a solid concept, you’ll be able to move on to the development process with confidence.
A video game concept generally includes the game’s setting, characters, and plot. The concept is what drives the development of the game and ultimately determines its success or failure. While there are many factors to consider when creating a video game concept, one of the most important is whether to create a 2D or 3D game. Each option has its own unique advantages and disadvantages.
2D games are typically cheaper and easier to develop than 3D games. They also tend to be more accessible to a wider audience, as they do not require expensive hardware or special software to play. However, 2D games are often less immersive and visually appealing than their 3D counterparts.
3D games offer a more realistic and immersive experience for players. They can also be more challenging to develop, as they require more sophisticated hardware and software. But for many gamers, the extra effort is well worth it. Ultimately, the decision of whether to create a 2D or 3D game comes down to personal preference and the specific goals of the developers.
A 2D game concept is not the same as 2D art for games. The former simply is an early design stage of a 2D video game in which the basic idea and overall structure of the game are created. The 2D game concept helps to communicate the vision for the game to the team and provides a roadmap for development. It is also a useful tool for determining what art style will be used for the game. While a 2D concept is not required for every 2D game, it can be helpful in the early stages of development. By creating a 2D concept, you can save time and money by avoiding potential problems later on.
2. How To Come Up With A Video Game Concept
Creating a video game is no small task. Not only do you need to come up with an engaging concept, but you also need to design compelling gameplay, create believable characters, and build an immersive world. However, the first step in any video game development project is coming up with a concept. So how do you go about doing that?
There are a few different approaches that you can take. One option is to start with a gameplay mechanic that you find particularly intriguing. Ask yourself what kind of game would allow players to experience that mechanic in the best way possible. Another possibility is to begin with a setting or story that you want to tell. Once you have a general idea of the world you want to create, you can start thinking about what kind of gameplay would be well suited to that setting.
Whichever approach you take, the important thing is to allow your concept to evolve and grow over time. As you start fleshing out your ideas, new possibilities will present themselves, and your original concept will almost certainly change in some way. The key is to be open to those changes and willing to experiment until you find something that really clicks. With a little luck and a lot of hard work, you just might come up with the next great video game concept.
3. How To Develop Your Video Game Concept
Whether you’re a seasoned game developer or just getting started, coming up with a great concept for your next video game can be a challenge. However, with a little creativity and planning, it is possible to develop an original and exciting game that will capture players’ imaginations. Here are five tips to help you get started if you have a creative and artistic mind:
- Start by identifying the core gameplay mechanics that you want to include in your game. These could be things like platforming, puzzle-solving, or combat. Once you have a good understanding of the gameplay, you can start to think about how to make it unique and interesting.
- Think about what kind of setting would complement the gameplay mechanics you have chosen. A well-developed setting can add a lot of depth and immersion to a game. It’s also important to make sure that the setting makes sense for the gameplay; for example, a first-person shooter wouldn’t work well in a peaceful countryside village.
- Develop engaging and likable characters that players will want to control. Your characters should be relatable and sympathetic, with their own motivations and goals that the player can help them achieve. Give your characters plenty of personalities so that players feel invested in their journey.
- Create an intriguing plot with twists and turns that will keep players guessing. Make sure your story is cohesive and logically consistent, without any holes or inconsistencies that could take players out of the experience.
- Pay attention to the little details that can make your game world come alive. Interesting NPCs, atmospheric locations, and thoughtfully crafted dialog can all contribute to making your game world feel believable and immersive. These details can also help players connect with the game on an emotional level and become fully invested in its outcome.
Or you can take a more managerial-like kind of approach:
- Choose a theme or genre. First, you need to decide what kind of game you want to make. What themes or genres are you interested in? What kind of games do you like to play? If you’re having trouble narrowing it down, try brainstorming a list of ideas.
- Do your research. Once you’ve chosen a theme or genre, it’s time to do some research. What games already exist in this space? What do they do well? What do they struggle with? How can you make your game different or better than what’s already out there? Try to find a niche that hasn’t been fully explored yet.
- Develop your core idea. Now it’s time to start developing your core idea. What’s the Elevator Pitch for your game? What’s the basic premise? Who are the main characters? What does the player do? Start fleshing out your concept by answering these questions and others.
- Create a prototype. Once you have a good understanding of your concept, it’s time to start creating a prototype. This doesn’t need to be a complete and polished game, but rather a rough demo that allows you to test out your core gameplay mechanics. Use whatever tools and resources you have at your disposal – there’s no need to spend months or years developing a complex engine if you’re not sure if your concept is even fun yet.
- Playtest and iterate. Now that you have a prototype, it’s time to start playtesting. Get as many people as possible to play your game and give feedback. What did they like? What didn’t they like? What was confusing or frustrating? Use this feedback to iterate on your design and make changes to your prototype.
- Rinse and repeat until you have a great game! The key to making a great video game is iteration: try new things, take risks, and be willing to fail along the way. Don’t be afraid to throw away months (or even years) of work if it means starting fresh with a better idea.
With enough hard work and dedication, anything is possible. So get out there and start making games!
4. How To Pitch Your Video Game Concept
When it comes to pitching a video game concept, there are a few key things you need to keep in mind. First and foremost, you need to have a strong hook. This is what will grab the attention of your potential investors and get them interested in your game. Secondly, you need to be able to articulate your vision for the game clearly and concisely. This means being able to explain the gameplay, the story, and the overall style of the game in a way that is easy for others to understand. Finally, you need to have a solid business plan. This includes things like your target market, your development timeline, and your budget.
Coming up with a great video game concept can be a challenge, but with these tips you should be well on your way to creating an exciting and original game that players will love. Keep in mind the importance of developing a strong hook, being able to articulate your vision clearly, and having a solid business plan. With enough hard work and creativity, you could very well come up with the next big thing in video gaming!