If you are tired of dealing with leaky shingles and constant roof repairs, it’s time you know how to install metal roofing over shingles.
But what about the existing shingles? The good news is that installing metal roofing over shingles is possible, and the right roofing contractors can help you.
Installing metal roofing over shingles can save you time and money on removing and disposing of old shingles.
However, following the proper installation process ensures a secure and long-lasting roof.
And that is what this article is all about. We will guide you through installing metal roofing over shingles, from preparation to finishing touches.
Pre Installation Checks / Preparations
Conducting pre-installation checks and preparations ensures a smooth and cost-effective construction process.
By paying attention to these initial steps, you can significantly reduce the overall construction costs while maintaining the desired quality and efficiency.
- Remove obstructions like air vents or pipe flashings. These obstructions can hinder the installation process and may even cause damage to your new roof. So, make sure that you remove them before starting the installation process.
- You also need to repair broken shingles that are torn or cracked. Damaged shingles, if not addressed before the new metal roof installation, can cause leaks and further compromise the integrity of your new roof.
So, make sure to repair them before installing your new roof. Trust us; you won’t regret taking this extra step!
3. Sweep the roof and remove any debris. Debris, like leaves, twigs, and branches, can accumulate on your roof over time and cause clogging in gutters or even the roof itself. You want a roof that is clean for a smooth installation process.
4. You need to identify any leaks or cracks beforehand to help you prevent any future damage to your newly installed roof. It will save you money and ensure that your new roof lasts for a long time.
How To Install Metal Roofing Over Shingles
There are quite a few methods you can use to install your new metal roofing over the shingles. Here are the common ones.
Attaching The Metal Roofing Directly To The Shingles
This method involves fastening the metal panels directly onto the existing shingles using screws or nails. It is the easiest and most cost-effective, eliminating the need to remove old shingles or use underlayment.
However, it is important to ensure that the shingles are in good condition and securely attached to the roof deck before installing the metal panels.
The downside of this method is that the metal roof conforms to the shape of the existing shingles. If there are any bends, the overall shape of your roof will also show the bents, which can be an eyesore.
Using Shingles Recovery System
The shingles recovery system uses an exclusive clip design, which will enhance the overall look of the installation and deliver a smooth and professional finish.
With this system, you get Above Sheathing Ventilation (ASV) airspace, which is critical in optimizing energy savings.
The ASV airspace ensures proper ventilation and insulation, resulting in better energy efficiency for the building.
Attaching The Metal roof To the Lathing
This technique involves nailing horizontal, parallel rows of 2 by 2 in (5.1 by 5.1 cm) boards along the roof. The metal panels are then attached to the lathing using screws or nails.
While this method is the most secure installation option, it is also time-consuming and expensive. However, it provides a durable, long-lasting roofing solution that can withstand harsh weather conditions.
Advantages Of Having Metal Roofing Over Shingles
You can save on labor costs as they do not require ripping off the old roofing material before installation. It saves money and prevents the accumulation of old roofing materials in landfills, making it an eco-friendly option.
- Metal roofs provide an extra layer of protection for your home, helping to further insulate it. This added insulation helps keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, reducing energy bills.
- Roof tiles come in a wide variety of colors and finishes, giving you the freedom to choose a style that matches the exterior of your home. The available options allow you to customize your roofs to suit your personal preferences and complement the overall design of your homes.
- Metal roofs are designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, including hailstorms, without taking any damage. This durability ensures that your roof remains intact even in extreme weather conditions.
- They can last much longer than traditional shingles, often up to 40-70 years or more, with proper maintenance. Homeowners can enjoy the benefits of a durable and attractive roof for decades without worrying about replacement costs or frequent repairs.
Disadvantages Of Having Metal Roofing Over Shingles
- Metal roofing is considerably more expensive than traditional shingle roofing, which can be a major deterrent for homeowners on a budget.
- While metal roofs provide excellent protection from the elements, they can be quite noisy during storms and heavy rainfall, which can be a major annoyance for some homeowners.
- The additional weight can potentially compromise the structural integrity of the roof. The cumulative load of the metal roofing on top of the existing shingles may exceed the design limits of the roof system, requiring careful consideration and reinforcement measures.
Now you know how to install metal roofing over shingles. Following the necessary steps and precautions, you can successfully undertake this project and enjoy the numerous benefits of metal roofing.
However, it is important to note that professional guidance and expertise are essential for ensuring a safe and effective installation. You don’t have to do it yourself when professionals are trained just for that.